Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Pink Hair Is Everywhere

I awoke this morning to the news that pink hair has officially become the "trend du jour" when I logged into my facebook today.
Thank you for the update, Mawi, my new fav jewelry designer
(who will soon be featured in another article).
I couldn't help but laugh ironically that pink hair has
escalated on the trend list.
Let me explain: I've had pink hair three times. Hot pink 12 years ago, 
coral 8 years ago, and baby pink layered with red three months ago (aka now).
That's it if you don't count the time 6 years ago when I died my armpit hair pink
as a somewhat stick-it-to-the-man, 
"I am Woman, hear me roar" kinda thing.
But of course now that I've finally come back to it, it's huge.
And for once, I'm extremely happy to be mere moments ahead of my time, 
because I have some super hot shares for you
when it comes to pink hair!!


Here's the quote that got my attention this morning from Mawi:
"Think Pink! Celebrities have been rocking pink hair for years 
but it has now become the hottest trend du jour."
I'm in! Care to join me?

If you want pink locks, there are two options in my book:
Real or fake?
For those of you with day jobs, you're in luck!
You don't have to go through multiple bleaching ('cause with pink, it pretty much has to be white)
or get a lecture from your boss. 
You'll still make it if you fake it.

Pretty Pink Wigs

Fit for a queen, this is one of the simplest styles by this magnificent designer.
Want more modern than Marie?
The options are vast and various.


These three master works are from
Visit her shop for all things 
faux-&-fabulous hair related.
Good luck choosing just one item.

 I'm keeping it as homegrown as possible
and taking the opportunity to
show off the unique
works of some of my favorite
Etsy crafters of coif.  

Dirty Little Laundry
Creepshow Cuts


Also mega-modern and with mega-vavavoom-vivaciousness,
pale to power-packed color gets you the lime light without fail.

Split Lolita Wig by
Dirty Little Laundry
Pink Bob Wig by
 M&M Beauty
Harijuku Lovers by
CreepShow

Size doesn't matter in this department.
From a pretty little bob
to princess-long locks,
people will be talking
about your larger-than-life
look with longing.

Tra-la-la-la-la!





Pink makes your skin look more even, and compliments any eye color as well.
It's not only a great way to catch glances, but it improves all that fills the eye of the beholder.
If a whole head of pink seems intimidating, but the above concept seems intriguing,
you don't have to get immersed in a pink shroud to 
benefit from it's complexion-complimentary chroma.
Highlights of pink can do wonders while keeping you more down-to-earth approachable.

Pink an Blonde Ombre Extentions

These hair extensions keep things real without the hassle
and headache.
Fringe bangs frame your face in the shade of your
choice, bringing the focus to the front.
Pink Ice Fringe Bangs 


Purple and Pink Fringe Bangs














Dreads Extensions Kit

For those who favor punk over pretty,
or if you're a desert rose,
this dread kit will tie it all together nicely.
All four items above by Damnation Hair.



If you do choose to go real, make sure you get a good colorist who knows your hair or 
is willing to learn (the key here is willing).
If you're DIY-ing it, I gottcha covered.

Bleach
Let's talk for a sec about bleach. If you're doing a darker pink, this will be less important.
For paler shades, this is of utmost importance, unless you want sherbet hair.
I mentioned you have to get it white. I wasn't kidding.

Kaleidocolors by Clairol
Use Kaleidacolors to address your specific color needs. 
You may need to bleach your hair more than once. 
I just went from red to white, so it can be done.
DON'T OVER DO IT BY LEAVING IT ON LONGER THAN RECOMMENDED.
Do it in stages, following the instructions each time.
Test your hair strands after each bleaching. If they are stretchy, you're done for a few days.
Bad color is nothing compared to NO HAIR.
Follow the directions and everything will be fine. 

Start with the blue or neutral. 
Blue removes orange tones.
Natural hair bleachs much faster than previously dyed,
so your roots may end up white while the rest puts up the fight of a lifetime.
If you can't wait a day to get your hair lighter, at least deep condition before bleaching again.
If you still have orange after the first go 'round, then you may need to go with Blue again.
If you have only yellow left, switch to Violet.
Violet removes yellow tones.
Good stuff, right?
If you're platinum blonde after one go, curse your virgin locks,
you're ready to pick your pink!

Made in the Shade
I could go on for days about colors and shades, but I'd still be leaving stuff out.
If you need a default setting, go with Manic Panic.
They've been around the longest, and are known for not
dying the hell out of your 
skin, shower, and pillowcase. That's a big plus in the world of temporary dye.
I would still proceed with caution when wearing white.

I will be specific for those seeking the perfect baby pink, however.
My lastest, and possibly greatest, undertaking in the pink spectrum.
It's easy to get a vibrant hot pink, but pale pink can be tricky.

Cotton Candy Pink by Manic Panic
The best reviews for light pink go to Manic Panic's Cotton Candy Pink. 
It may come off strong at first, but fades down to a pretty pink.
After the initial fade, it's staying power is quite remarkable.
To avoid getting to bright a pink, leave it on for half the recommended time.
But if you want it to be around for awhile, it's worth the wait that it takes to fade.

Rose ColorBrilliance by Ion
 Brand new to the beauty world, Ion has recently launched a whole line of pastel colors.


I tried the rose, loved the color, but it faded pretty quickly. 
This is great if you want to switch back and forth from blond to pink,
or if you don't mind regular maintenance.
Possibly, weekly.

Pravana Hair Color Vivid Pink
Last but not least, I hope. Pravana also recently launched a line of pastels. The reviews are good.
I haven't had the pleasure of trying it yet, so girls, 
if you do, please do share.
Looks like a very yummy pink frosting, at a great price too.

Flower Power Pink
That just about covers all things pink hair related.
If you didn't like pink, you wouldn't be here.
But if you still absolutely can't see yourself getting aboard the pink hair train,
there is always the super subtle and safe route:

Petal Mix
Atelier Kanawa


JulVa
Atelier Kanawa































JulVa




A little flower never hurt anyone...
and these are certified gluten-free.

I can't help but feel like a vintage pin-up girl with a flower in my hair.
And that feeling by definition is just
plain and simple sexy.










Hope you enjoyed my post on more things to make pink.
This one particularly excites me because it's a sign of things to come in the style sphere.
The blossoming of pink hair to the forefront of fashion can only mean that we are on the verge of the resurgence of roccoco style. So make sure to check back for an update within the month on just that. 
I'll pull out the big guns on a fashion storm I've been anticipating for a good few years now.
And mark my words, I am relentlessly prepared for it.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I would like to open beauty salon. Does anybody have an experience in this business? There are too many options in different salon equipment. Could anybody give me an advise? What store is more reliable to buy Cordless curling iron and Tourmaline curling iron. I'm choosing between Advance-Esthetic.Com and Spa&Equipment websites.

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
The Pretty Pink Arsenal by Lauryn Otten is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.