Saturday, September 29, 2012

Get Yo Sweat On! - 4 Alternative Exercises I Love To Do

I'm a bit of a Fitness Junkie. And I've tried just about everything. It feels good to sweat it out, gets you out of your head, keeps you bangin' hot, and wishes all that accumulated tension from a stressful week bye-bye! 

I know for a lot of people working out is a chore that is not necessarily something to look forward to, but it doesn't have to be that way! These are my preferred methods of getting my sweat on, and they're all things that you can take out of the classroom and apply to real life: from the 
Dance Floor to a Street Fight! 

Pretty win-win, don't ya think? :)

Zumba


Yep, that's right. I'm 100% on the Zumba train. It's gaining popularity and spreading like wildfire, and there's a very good reason. It's crazy fun!!
I dare you to get through your first class with out busting up, and it's great to do with a group of girlfriends. Plus, there are very few classes that get my heart-rate up and make me sweat like this does. That's the main point, right?
Check out the website for nationwide classes, or get a DVD and make a house party of it.



Poi Spinning


I'm a fire dancer and a poi instructor, and it's flat out one of the best things I have ever picked up!
Stimulating to the mind and the body, this art-and-exercise-in-one does wonders for hand-eye coordination, muscle strength and tone, flexibility and even helps ward of arthritis and carpal tunnel.
It's fun, inspiring and gives you endless possibilities to be creative.


Fire Groove is one of the most professional instruction and performance groups out there in this category, and they're great people. They're based in LA, so you can check out classes locally, or buy their easy-to-follow DVD collection and Rock It on you're own time.
 Their shop has everything you need to get started!

There are groups sprouting up all over the world, so check online to find an instructor in your area! 


Krav Maga


I don't like to play favorites when it comes to my workout, but this is undeniably becoming one of the things I look forward to the most in my schedule!
Krav Maga is an Israeli martial art designed for their military, where every person, female or male, big or small, has to serve for a two year minimum. Law enforcement in the US has adopted it as well.
It's a great workout, really gets you sweating and you walk out pretty confident that if some D-bag wants to jack you're Swarovski bedazzled phone or confuses your neck with a squeeze-ball, you could make it a very unpleasant experience for them.
I think Self-Defense is super important. You never know when you'll be in the wrong place at the wrong time. It's best to be prepared for anything!

Check out Krav Maga at these two sites for a directory of skilled instructors:



And if anyone get's their panties in a bunch because I included them both, 
suck on a tylenol until the swelling in your head goes down. Enjoy!

MMA



If those last three still leave you wanting for a challenge, this should fill your cup to the brim.
Team Quest is a world renowned fight club specializing in mixed martial arts training. 
I focus on their Jiu Jitsu classes, and those are a challenge in strength and will. 
I love it!!
If Krav Maga is the viper of the martial arts world, then Jiu Jitsu is the constrictor. Is one better than the other? No comment, as that's a long conversation. The two together round out my practice and give me something to work hard to achieve.
If you really want to get your hands dirty and work every muscle you never knew you had, 
this'll do it for ya! I can promise that.
Team Quest serves up a variety of styles, hence Mixed Martial Arts, so if Jiu Jitsu is not your cup'o'tea play around until you find one that hits the spot.

Team Quest MMA has branches all over, so find a location close to you. As with any martial art, take the class and don't try this out on your boyfriend or little sister. Proper instruction is key:


Now get out of your weekend PJ's and go kick some a**, 
most importantly your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
The Pretty Pink Arsenal by Lauryn Otten is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.